05 June 2013

nuuksio national park I.

it has been very hot lately like it hadn't been in two years at least: it feels like summer is here already. last sunday we decided to visit Nuuksio National Park for the first time ever: I couldn't believe we still hadn't been there in almost three years - being Nuuksio fairly close to Helsinki and reachable by public transports. we first took a train to Espoo and then bus 85 - which left us a 2-km walk to the park: all in all a 2-hour journey that was totally worth it: Nuuksio was every bit as fascinating as I was expecting it to be. we walked the Haukankierros path around the lake Haukkalampi - which took us up and down a few cliffs and through a beautiful forest.
Hasselblad 500 C/M - Ilford HP5+
5 prints from my darkroom.
the last photograph is a courtesy of Jacopo.
after graduating I had to empty my studio at the university and storage my darkroom equipment in a friend's. finally last week I rented a van and with Jacopo's help I have brought everything home: since setting up the darkroom in our little bathroom was the only possible solution for me to keep on developing and printing my black and white films - I decided to go for it. yesterday I set it up for the first time: being back in there again had been a bliss - even if it wasn't as spacious as in my studio.

I really enjoyed our sunday in Nuuksio: I will tell you more about it in a second post. there are also some more photographs that I like from this film roll so I will share more prints too!

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know! They were actually closer to us when I took my camera out, but I wasn't fast enough and they were swimming away when I took that photograph. They were so beautiful!

      Delete
  2. happy that you're back in the darkroom :)
    nuuksio national park seems wonderful! what kind of animals live there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Silvia! I'm very happy too!
      In Nuuksio you can find all the animals of Southern Finland pretty much - birds especially and the famous Siberian Flying Squirrel, which is the symbol of the park. Unfortunately we didn't spot many animals, except for those baby ducks in the photograph - which were lovely though!

      Delete
  3. I really love the last photo and being in b&w makes it extra beautiful! Would love to learn how to use a darkroom sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Inês! I'm glad you do! Developing and printing in a darkroom is one of my favourite things in the world - I hope you will get to try too!

      Delete
  4. Oh, so beautiful! Enjoy the warmth (although it may be more like heath), because it has been raining here for weeks. :)
    So good to see these photos from your own darkroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ingeborg! I'm glad you like the photographs! It has been very hot for Helsinki, about 30 degrees - yet I don't think it is going to last for the whole summer.

      Delete
  5. You need to frame these and put them on your wall!!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlyn, thank you! I'm happy you think they deserve to be framed! Though, if I start putting up more photographs on our apartment walls, I'm afraid there won't be any white spots left anymore.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful b&w photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sirpa! Black and white can be very beautiful in the summer as well! I'm glad you think so too!

      Delete
  7. A black and white book with your pictures that would be very nice :)

    I miss my black and white developing,i have the enlarger and all the other stuff in my parents house - good times when i spent 12 hours in the darkness printing stuff<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll think about that!
      I totally understand how you feel. I hope you'll get to visit your parents soon and use your darkroom equipment there. Do they live far from you?

      Delete
  8. No,they live inly half an hour from here but i never seem to organize myself to get there and do some stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be able to do that sometime soon though, as I would love to see your prints!

      Delete