often I have been asked what is my favourite bird - I have eventually decided to prepare a top 10 chart of my favourite birds of northern europe.
top 10 birds from my Pohjolan Lintukirja:
1) house sparrow - the most beautiful ever between the most common birds.
2) robin bird - my grandma's favourite bird.
3) great grey owl - the biggest and my favourite between owls.
4) great black-backed gull - my favourite between seagulls as it reminds me of the ocean.
5) black bird - I will always connect this bird with my childhood and with the famous song by the Beatles.
6) magpie - because of the well known "1 for sorrow, 2 for joy..."
7) white-backed woodpecker - the woodpecker that used to eat by my window in Vuosaari.
8) bullfinch - a bird that truly represents finnish winter for me.
9) sea eagle - the eagle with the most beautiful sound ever.
10) puffin - the only bird in my top 10 that I haven't encountered yet: I hope I will soon.
I had never thought that making my top 10 birds chart would have been so difficult - I couldn't really make up my mind!